Sunday, May 13, 2012

Being a Mom...

     When I think about what it means to be a mom, so many things come to mind.  My life changed forever the day I became a mom.  As I started looking back at pictures of Cohan when he was a baby, I noticed that I am absent in most of them.  I know this is because I am the one behind the camera; afraid I will miss something.  That is what it feels like to be mom.  I NEVER want to miss anything.  I would choose hanging out with him over a night out any day.  My priorities changed when I became a mom.  Make-up, straightened hair, new bags and clothes did mean as much to me. 
First picture with Cohan
  Motherhood has a very humanizing effect. Everything gets reduced to essentials.
-Meryl Streep 


    

I also think that being a mom has made me look at my own mom differently.  I have a new respect for her, how she raised us and the unconditional love I have always felt from her.  We always say that we won't be like our moms, but I would be humbled if my kids thought of me in the same respect I think of my own mom.  She gives and gives and gives.  She is able to make me feel better from over 200 miles away.  For this I am so thankful.




    



I know that Scott feels the same way about his mom.  We talk all the time about how lucky we are to have involved parents.  My mom always told me you can tell a lot about a guy by the way they treat their mother.  Scott, Cohan and I are lucky to  these two women in our lives.
I know that Mother's Day is just a "Hallmark Holiday."  But, I really do love that it gives me a chance to reflect on being a mom and how much I love it.  It also makes us take a step back and thank the moms in our lives. 

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.
-Sophia Loren

The whole reason I love being a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment