Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Teething Stinks!

Today was a scary day as a parent. It was one of those days that makes you thankful that you have a healthy child (most days).



Cohan has been cutting a couple teeth for what seems like forever. He has had 10 teeth since he was 11 months old. All four molars came in at the same time... no fussiness or reaction. Seriously, a few times we didn't even know he was teething until we saw something new in his mouth and realized there was a tooth. A couple times we weren't even sure how long it had been there!!
This time, with the little teeth coming in we (like seasoned parents) noticed. We saw the tell tale signs of teething (mostly because people told us these were the signs). Last night, he wouldn't eat or drink anything. He was fussy. We chalked it up to the new tooth. Cohan went to bed at 6:45 p.m. with a temperature of 101. Again, thinking it was teething.



At 4:00 a.m., we were awoken by a very upset little man. He was on fire. I mean hot to the touch. Took his temp and it was 103. We gave him Motrin, he began gagging and barfed immediately. He has never thrown up. Ever. I am pretty sure this was Scott's fault. Too much medicine too quick. =) He snuggled for a long time, then I rocked him back to bed.
When I went to check on him at 8, he was just laying there awake. This is TOTALLY not like him. The second he is awake, he is jumping in his bed yelling and laughing.



Again, he was on fire. Checked his temperature and it was 103.8. This made me a little nervous. I called the doctor, and they told me it sounded viral. I called my mother-in-law, Jane, to tell her we were not going to swim lessons. Next thing I knew, she was over to help.



Cohan only wanted to be held. He wanted nothing to do with drinks or food. Jane ran to the store and got him Popsicles, medicine, Gatorade and more. He just wanted his Nanny to hold him. It was the sweetest thing ever.



Even though Jane has been recovering from pneumonia, she was here to help us. While she was here, his temperature continued to go up. At one point we got 105.6 (might have been a mistake).





After the medicine kicked in, his temperature went down, and he ate some food, Cohan was back to normal. It was awesome. Must have really been those teeth!



Our day was shot, but we had a showing for our house that night so Jane helped clean the entire house!! What would I have done without her? When Cohan was feeling better, he started to help too!



No comments:

Post a Comment